The ruins of Akbari Mahal (meaning Akbar's Palace) are a testimony to the presence of the huge imperial courts surrounded by a series of spacious chambers. Set between Jehangiri Mahal and Bengali Burj, it was once part of a larger palace complex and was used for residential purposes. Built between 1565-69, it had a large stone paved courtyard enclosed on all sides by suites and chambers. One can still see the few suites on the eastern side of the courtyard that have survived the rigors of time. One could enter it through the gateway on the western side, which was so designed that it ensured complete purdah and security for the women in the harem. There was a great Assembly hall with a high ceiling on the lower storey, which can still be seen but the upper storey is completely in ruins. It also had a hall with triple opening on the riverside.
The Bengali Burj to its southeast has a spacious square hall with
arched aisles. It has a domed ceiling and chevron design grace the
nook-shafts of the arches. The Akbari Baoli near Burj is actually a well
with five rows of rooms round it and steps leading to the water. Built
in red sandstone, the palace complex uses simple carvings and
architectural features as the chief ornamentation techniques. Architects
introduced flat ceilings and brackets that could take place of pillars
in the structure. The palace complex could accommodate a large number of
people and had adequate arrangements for water supply.
Akbari Mahal in Agra fort is an important monument in Agra. Find more on the Akbari mahal in Agra fort.