Jami Masjid, built in 1648, is situated opposite to Delhi Gate in the heart of the city. The red sandstone mosque is very simple and has just a little use of white marble. It was built by Jahanara Begum, daughter of Mughal Emperor Shah Jehan, at a cost of five lakh rupees. Set on a high plinth, it has well-balanced proportions and a courtyard surrounded by cloisters on three of its sides and the prayer chamber on its western side. The cloisters have engrailed arches supported on pillars. The main entrance is through the eastern side. The prayer chamber has a façade with a broad arched iwan in its centre and is adorned with slender turrets alternated with kiosks. Its dome is the largest and highest of the three domes crowning the sanctuary.
All the bulbous domes have inverted lotus and kalash finials on the top
and have narrow zigzag courses of white marble alternated by broad bands
of red stone. There is a fountain with four kiosks in its corners in the
centre of the courtyard. The interiors of the western wall have a
beautiful mihrab and pulpit in white marble. The Persian inscription in
white marble inlaid with black stone on the archway of the central
portal is in praise of Jahanara and Shah Jehan. The pristine beauty of
the mosque must have been awesome as indicated by its comparison with
Baitul-Mamur, the fabulous mosque of rubies and pearls situated in the
fourth sky. It is said that once surrounded by a market place called
Tripolia set in an octagonal (Muthamman) Chowk that was built between
the Delhi Gate and the Jami Masjid. But, it was later destroyed in
1871-73 to acquire space for laying down the railway tracks for the
This is a short write up on the Jami Masjid of Agra.