Commonly known as Chausath Khambah (Hall of Sixty Four Pillars), this tomb belongs to Salabat Khan Mir-Bakhshi, the treasurer of Mughal Empire. Situated on Agra-Delhi road, it was built between 1644-50. Salabat Khan was murdered by Rao Amar Singh Rathor of Jodhpur in 1644, who was later killed for this act. Made up of red sandstone and set in the centre of a charbagh, which has now disappeared, one can only imagine its beauty with all the canals, fountains, cascades, lily-ponds and pathways that once graced it. The tomb is built on a 5' high platform and is accessible by steps that are set in the middle of each side of the platform. The central bay of the hall is a little larger than twenty-four other bays and is believed to have contained the cenotaph once.
The original grave must have been situated in the crypt below the
cenotaph that was accessible by a tunnel on each side of the main
platform. The only remnants of projecting chajja that can be seen are
its brackets. Four beautiful chhatris can be seen on the four corners of
the platform that are noticeable because of their cusped arches and a
wide projecting chhajja. The dome is crowned by an inverted lotus and is
ornamented inside. The decorative techniques used in this tomb include
stalactite, arabesque and stylized floral patterns painted on polished
stucco and carved stone panels.
Read about the tomb of Salabat Khan at Agra, also known as the Chausath Khambha.